Sunday, July 09, 2006

It's all an "Illusion"

Of late, the story of the little creature clinging fiercly to the rocks at the bottom of the stream has come to mind...apparently I am a clinger...clingon...Klingon. I cling...to just about anything that's bad for me, yet familiar, consistent, and THERE. Oh yes...it's gotten better by all means, but still...I'm a clinging little creature...and this over-priced, poorly finished rent house I sit in... are the rocks.

What's downstream? Who cares! I have these crappy rocks I'm clinging desperately to, leave me be! Nothing could be better than these crappy rocks...nothing I say, now GO AWAY!

So cling... See ya.

Is this how I want to live? No, but I'm afraid. Maybe I'll just let go a little. Nope. No way. My crappy rocks are EVERYTHING I HAVE. Hmmm. Where are all those other creatures going?
Come on...come with us...it's better if you let go...ride the current!

Ride the current! Are they crazy, we'll all be crashed against the rocks and killed! Those creatures are nuts...how can they take such risks with their very lives ... how can they let go without KNOWING what's downstream!

Hey...maybe they're right...maybe these crappy rocks AREN'T all there is in the world...maybe it's just an ILLUSION? I won't know unless I try...

So the little creature timidly released his grip on the crappy rocks...and was instantly smashed to smitherines, dying a horrifically painful and excrutiatingly slow death ..
.
At least that's how I remember the story.

...maybe I should read that book again.

No comments: